Established in Hungary in May of 1923, the Sisters of Social Service, well known for their work in nursing, midwifery, and orphanage services, came to the United States later that year and founded the Sisters of Social Service in Los Angeles in 1926.
HFS and the Sisters of Social Service (the Sisters) have a three-decade-long shared history that dates back to 1963, 14 years after HFS was founded. That year, the Sisters took over the administration and development of HFS from the Franciscan Sisters and ably led our organization for the next thirty years. Sr. Bertille Prus, LCSW, became Executive Director of HFS the agency in 1963 until her retirement in 1991. Sr. Mary Phyllis McCarthy, PhD, was then Executive Director from 1991 to 1993.
Managing HFS was just one of the Sisters’ many good works. For the 100 years since their founding, in locations around the world, they have provided direct social services, community development, and systemic support to hundreds of thousands of people.
“We come together to fulfill the Gospel through our work with and on behalf of those who are alienated, struggling, or living in poverty. The right of all people to live in dignity is at the heart of our work and of our religious faith.”
With gratitude for their many years of leadership, HFS is delighted to celebrate the Sisters of Social Service’s Jubilee Year and our 30-year relationship with them.